Below are the partial results to date for the 2021 State of the CF Union survey. If you missed the survey you can take it here. See how you compare with other CFML developers. Discover what most developers use for tools, languages, database and development methods.
Can you help? If you have a blog, are on a ColdFusion list, LinkedIn, Facebook, Google group please share the survey so that we can get a more complete picture of the current State of the CF Union. Thanks!
1. What version of CFML Engine do you use? (Check all that apply)
No entries match your request.
2. What type of CFML Engine are you running? (Check all that apply)
3. What CF Server OS are you using (Check all that apply)?
4. What OS do you run on your laptop/PC? (Check all that apply)
|git for windows|
5. What browsers/client platforms do you support in your apps? (Check all that apply)
|All browsers basically|
|Amazon Silk (Dissenter might be coming soon)|
|We have no official statement on this issue.|
|Any standards compliant browser|
|All - they should support the standard I code vs the standard 😉|
6. Databases you use? (Check all that apply)
|Azure SQL Database|
7. What MVC Frameworks do you use? (Check all that apply)
|We have built our own FW.|
|CF's built-in application.cfc/.cfm framework|
8. What ColdFusion-based CMS do you use? (Check all that apply)
|TWD CMS (proprietary)|
|WordPress ( because your option was don't use a CMS )|
|We use a CMS, but it is not ColdFusion based (strictly speaking); it is Adobe Experience Manager version 6.5.|
|Bizoneo - Wandsoft|
|Libraries are for the weak.|
|underscore, lodash, moment|
10. What CSS frameworks do you use? (Check all that apply)
|WET, Material Design, etc.|
|Sencha ExtJS, Bulma|
11. What CFC dependency injection frameworks and tools do you use? (Check all that apply)
12. Which persistence frameworks do you use? (Check all that apply)
|We have built our own.|
|traditional sql code|
|Hibernate, in Groovy/Java layer|
13. What testing and mocking frameworks do you use? (Check all that apply)
14. What type of CF Mobile development frameworks are you using? (Check all that apply)
|Responive Web Design|
|Flutter + Titanium|
|React Native (not CF Mobile Dev)|
|Again, not all these are CF based... come on.|
|Not using CF mobile development framework; our CMS developers provide this for us|
|HTML5 Responsive site|
15. What miscellaneous frameworks/tools are you using? (Check all that apply)
|home grown api logging utility|
16. What CF features do you use for code reuse? (Check all that apply)
No entries match your request.
17. What do you use for source code control? (Check all that apply)
|Microsoft Visual Sourcesafe|
|Backup file before edit + automated backups|
|Helix Team Hub|
|pure git with local and own custom remote repository|
|GiT and beanstalkapp|
|We built-in our source code within our application|
|Azure DevOps Git|
|Git on Microsoft DevOps|
18. What tools/IDEs do you use? (Check all that apply)
|COLD FUSION REPORT BUILDER!|
19. What browser Dev Tools do you use? (Check all that apply)
|"Inspect" app on ipad for Safari Introspection|
|Vue Dev Tools|
|Opera Dev Tools|
|Vivaldi & Opera|
20. What do you use to build REST APIs? (Check all that apply)
|we have built our own REST design|
|FarCry API plugin|
21. What caching solutions are you using? (Check all that apply)
|nginx reverse proxy|
|In-house written TTL cache|
22. How many years have you used CFML? (Check one)
23. How many years have you used OO? (Check one)
24. Other languages/environments you use? (Check all that apply)
|Cobol basic dataflex|
25. How many CF developers at your organization? (Check one)
26. How many total employees at your organization? (Check one)
27. How often do you attend ColdFusion User Group meetings? (Check one)
28. What CF related topics are you interested in learning this year? (Check all that apply)*
|Lambda should be 'serverless'|
|will coldfusion continue or finally die|
29. Which CF conferences will/did you attend this year? (Check all that apply)* (Check all that apply)
|Cf developer week|
|ColdFusion Developer Week|
|ColdFusion Summit (Online)|
|Not sure, but I am itching to do something.|
|Depends on timing and cost|
|This year is hard with the pandemic this question should have been change|
30. What online CF communities do you participate in? (Check all that apply)*
|Google Mura group|
|exercism.io site for learning to code|
|Coldfusion CFML Brasil|
|Lucee Dev forum. Also, my own blog, if you can count that.|
|cfbrazil WhatsApp Group|
|ColdFusion Meetup Group|
31. CF Open Source (Check all that apply)*
|open source approval currently in flux|
|do not use or participate with|
|We use the best tool for the job. We don't care (or even check) to see if it's open source.|
32. I listen to the CF Alive podcast (Check one)*
33. I listen to the Modernize or Die Podcast (Check one) *
34. What types of DEVELOPMENT setups do you use? (Check all that apply)*
|Vagrant with Ansible|
35. What types of PRODUCTION deployments do you use? (Check all that apply)*
|AWS EC2 running commandbox services|
|None of ya business|
|Azure Snaphot (same aws amis)|
|AWS - self built|
36. What hosting services do you use for your PRODUCTION deployments? (Check all that apply)*
|We have our own hosting service|
|Glesys, SSD nodes|
|We no longer host externally accessible cf apps|
|AWS Lightsail (not EC2)|
|On-premise VMware virtual machines|
|None of ya business|
|Hurricane Electric Colocation|
37. What Docker Image(s) are you using, if applicable? (Check all that apply)
|We are exploring|
|I don't understand the question.|
|Percona, Elastic Search, Redis|
38. What deployment/build tools do you use? (Check all that apply)*
|Can't remember but it's free|
|AWS Codebuild, AWS Pipelines|
|buddy.works FTP pipeline|
|CodePipline and CodeDeploy|
39. What monitoring tools are you using? (Check all that apply)*
|Custom built monitoring tools|
|ColdFusion Server Monitor API|
|Alertra for server availability monitoring and test CF functionality with a quick CF computation|
|log rocket. not cf specific.|
|Hack My CF|
|Azure app insights, Sentry one|
|UptimeRobot and Linode's LongView|
|hosting company monitors|
|Lucee performance analyzer own monitoring tools|
40. How do you lock down your servers for security? (Check all that apply)*
|not my responsibility|
|Adobe CF Lockdown Tool|
|Also using WAF, Use Azure's AMAZING ISO standards checklists (in security centre)|
41. Have your CF servers suffered from a hacking exploit in the last 2 years due to a CF-based vector? (Remember, this is anonymous) (Check all that apply)*
|Not sure - I hope not!|
|Not that I am aware of.|
42. Are you using or planning to use AWS Lambda (serverless) (Check all that apply)*
|Not my decision 🙂|
|I tried it - pretty cool|
|Yes at some point in the future.|
|Maybe, but I don't make those decisions|
|Outside of scope of my job|
|Lambda without CFML|
|Not currently, but i just don't have a use case yet|
|No plans, but it is interesting.|
|Should be more generic... (serverless) rather than AWS fanboi questions as if everyone is on AWs when they are not.|
|Unsure at present|
|AWS Lambda NodeJS|
|We use AWS Lambdas (primary nodejs, some python). Not looking to use CF Lambdas|
|If Adobe ever releases the missing parts;<(|
|Depends on application|
|We use it for AWS API Gateway|
|Yes but haven't explored solutions|
43. What aspects of CF are keeping you and/or your company using it? (Check all that apply)*
|Historical decision. Due to many apps developed on CF. Otherwise, would have probably chose another language.|
|Legacy code. Moving to .NET when we have to touch.|
|It's what I know|
|don't understand? We do use it.|
|speed of execution|
|The CF systems/devs have a history of delivering projects on time. Previous attempts to replace us have led to shitty, un-extendable and expensive software|
|Good language/platform. Switching is expensive and there's little motivation to do so.|
|old apps written in cf, would not use it for new apps|
|More flexible than other languages (aka duck typing and alike)|
|Faster, more flexible than other middleware.|
|Fast to code|
|Only developer, only language I know.|
|You should rewrite this question to "What aspects of CF keep you and/or your company using it?|
|Everything is already CFML and no reason to move away.|
|Easier to support many custom applications long term due to fewer library dependancies.|
|One of the top reasons is CommandBox. CFML has lost the edge in most areas, unfortunately.|
|We are migrating from CF|
|Fast to code in|
|Richness offered by ACF (PDF Generation, Spreadsheets, web sockets, etc)|
44. What aspects of CF are preventing you or your company from embracing CF? (Check all that apply)*
|It's all good|
|Misconceptions of CF|
|Management decided years ago that CF was dead or dying. Mostly use .NET now.|
|We embrace it|
|I <3 and embrace it.|
|commandbox no longer installs correctly|
|None. Question not worded correctly|
|My job likes the fact that I use CF.|
|we use it and like it.|
|We embrace CF|
|Adobe licensing was an issue. Moving towards 100% Lucee.|
|Adobe just doesn't care enough|
|CF developers are difficult to find and those experienced with large scale enterprise systems are nearing zero.|
|There is nothing preventing me...|
|bugs in CF, lack of professionalism|
|NONE we have embraced it.|
45. What are your company’s plans for your technology stack, if any? (Check all that apply)*
If migrating FROM CFML to another language, please specify
|js, React, .Net Core|
|Will use CFML AND Node.js, React and React Native|
|Organisation security restrictions and for centralizing expertise.|
|Not my decision. Early discussions|
|Moving to NodsJS, Spring Boot, Lambda|
|Depends on the options|
|Some clients want to move off CFML entirely.|
|JS using Sails on Node|
|Express, NodeJS, Spring Boot|
|Company wants to move to PHP and Drupal, yuck|
If migrating from another language TO CFML, please specify
|Java or .Net|
|Ruby on Rails|
46. What is your approximate salary range in USD? (Remember, this is anonymous) (Check one)
|Not from us|
|There is no other. I am retired so I code for free to small businesses that couldn't afford a database driven web application.|
47. What is your current arrangement for CF work? (Check all that apply)*
|Self Employed (owner of company, not sole trader)|
48. What percentage of your PROFESSIONAL development time is spent on CFML (as opposed to other languages)? (Check one)*
49. What percentage of your HOBBY development time is spent on CFML (as opposed to other languages)? (Check one)*
50. Any additional comments/suggestions for the survey?
We have a HUGE investment in CF Report Builder.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE suggest to ADOBE that the support for those never ever goes away! It's be awesome if they could re-invest in the CF Report Builder project and make a new version of the IDE!
Personally I enjoy the product. However, new team I am on are constantly looking for code examples to work with other technology (i.e. Docusign, etc). They would love to see more examples. I guess this is the way developers are going now. copy code
Thank you for sincerely conducting the survey every year.
I would add I don't know to some questions.
Athena is coming to us, across the Aether and thru the Stratus. 11/11!! Keep up these surveys! Thanks, and be well!
I try and try to dispel the misperceptions about CFML when talking with clients and other developers. I have made converts of a couple of my circle of developers I use for freelance on a regular basis.
I have been fortunate that the clients we do CFML work for are Healthcare adjacent and they have seen CFML solutions in places they work.
Never had a problem with ColdFusion, but lots of new employees certainly dismiss it.
Question 44 doesn't apply but I was required to submit an answer. I checked "Other," which is not accurate because nobody is telling us not to use CFML.
Not a fan of CF
Question 49: 100% of my server side code time is in CF. The rest is in React for our front end development.
CF Makes me sad because Adobe seems stuck: they've reduced the user base so less revenue, but they need revenue to justify supporting the product. I don't know the exit or the right move on this. It's up to them. But yeah, it's not showing growth because it's not their focus (their fault) but they can not play with pricing because they need that to sustain the specific Adobe division.
The biggest issue with CFML dev was and continues to be, Adobe itself. They just don't care enough about the product, and if they don't take it seriously how can anybody else do that? Having a hidden away team in India do all the development, with no community involvement whatsoever, results in features and updates that just serve to maintain the status quo for their existing clients, but are not bringing in any new devs or big clients.
documentation can be better (can't it always?). The examples provided are generally not useful nor realistic nor do they show some of the more complex aspects of various functions. Better cfscript documentation needed.
Might be good to ask what modules people are using from ForgeBox.
Need an IDE, like visual studio and need a debugger, breakpoints like visual studio
It would be interesting to have a question about which devs/blogs people read or follow on Twitter etc...
We would never - under any circumstances - pay for a web programming language/platform. If not for Lucee, CFML would have been in the rear view mirror ages ago.
Thanks for doing this! I look forward to seeing the results.
I really love CF and worked with it for many years ...
I think the licensing model of CF is killing this language. the kind of thinking (8 cores for one enterprise-license) is out of todays needs and reality - even hard to find a server with 8 cores only :-))) i switched to VMs and there the costs of the license it is even more strange to me. it should be at least countable for 32 VM-cores or more ...
young developers will choose other languages and technologies.
stop using AWS products as categories, use 'serverless' for instance as each cloud has it's own name and AWS is a dogs breakfast atm which is why we're never intending to use them again.
Nothing about using message queues and other tech here. Nothing about ML either.
Also no talk of technology stacks really around cf, what WAF other than cf-based ones, etc
There's a few sets radio/checkbox answers here that could benefit from "dunno" / "N/A"
REST in Peace!
I love ColdFusion but it is being destroyed.
Please put ColdFusion back in the USA with better marketing and sales and better communicators and better support and better training. Hire professionals. Hire back in the USA for better coders and better coding. Testing. Test this stuff please.
Get out and explain that this is a JVM or Java fronting language.
Total number of responses
Join the CF Alive revolutionDiscover how we can all make CF more alive, modern and secure this year. Join other ColdFusion developers and managers in the CF Alive Inner Circle today.
- Get early access to the CF Alive book and videos
- Be part of a new movement for improving CF's perception in the world.
- Contribute to the CF Alive revolution
- Connect with other CF developers and managers
- There is no cost to membership.