126 Revealing FusionReactor 9 (ColdFusion Monitoring New Tools) with David Tattersall
David Tattersall talks about “Revealing FusionReactor 9 (ColdFusion Monitoring New Tools)” in this episode of the ColdFusion Alive Podcast with host Michaela Light.
“We’ll be talking about the amazing new features in fusion reactor nine, for making your ColdFusion apps run fast and not have crashes. Or if they do have slowdowns or crashes, you can quickly diagnose, what’s going on. And there are a lot of new features in version nine. So we’ll get into that in the episode, and we’ll go through some demos for those of you on video; you’ll be able to see the demo for those listening on audio; we’ll walk through the eight cool stuff that you’re seeing.”
- 126 Revealing FusionReactor 9 (ColdFusion Monitoring New Tools) with David Tattersall
- Show notes
- Coming very soon to FusionReactor Cloud
- Mentioned in this episode
- David Tattersall Bio
- Join the CF Alive revolution
Our Mission + FusionReactor highlights
- How applications changed and the impact on monitoring
- Developers don't have it easy
What is FusionReactor – why is it different?
- Unified Observability Platform®
- Identifying performance & stability issues
- Coming very soon to FusionReactor
- Performance Problems
- Resources limitations, due to Socket 10, or Cache (Resource Metrics, Profiler)
- External applications or systems such as a DB or API's (Distributed Tracing)
- Database issues, due to too many queries or poorly written (JDBC monitor)
- Memory Problems
- Allocating too much memory / Memory leak (Heap Analyzer / JDBC by Mem)
- Production Errors – the elusive corner case…
- Various issues – (Event Snapshots / Debugger – breakpoints & tracepoints)
What is FusionReactor?
- Why should all CFers be using it?
- What are the differences between FR 8 and 9?
- What are the new features?
- Pricing on FR 9
- What does ‘Unified Observability’ mean?
- How applications have changed and the impact on monitoring
- How FusionReactor has responded to those changes
- Identifying common problems using existing & new features
- New Logging Capability (FR9)
Coming very soon to FusionReactor Cloud
- Why go to Cloud?
- When was FR CLOUD launched?
Realtime production debugging for Java
- Alerting improved?
What versions of ACF and Lucee does FR work with?
What's coming up (very) soon
- Infrastructure monitoring – Host machines, Nginx, DB's, K8s, Kafka, AWS etc.
- Lots and lots of dashboards – rendered automatically when we detect specific
technologies or data sources
- Fully distributed tracing across different languages & technologies
Synthetic monitoring – giving you an “outside in” view of your application
- Machine Learning & Al Ops (this is the future!)
WWIT to make CF even more alive next year/2023?
CF Camp 2023
Any other (new) conferences in sight?
Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
Mentioned in this episode
- How to tackle common performance and stability issues using FusionReactor
- How FusionReactor is able to ingest any application, ColdFusion or FusionReactor logs
- CF Camp 2023 in Munich
- 057 Into the CLOUD with FusionReactor (ColdFusion Application Performance Monitor) with David Tattersall
- FusionReactor 9 Press Release
David Tattersall Bio
David Tattersall has been in working in IT for over 35 years. Since co-founding Intergral in 1998, he has focused on company management, business development and sales & marketing. Intergral has become a leader in server monitoring and application performance monitoring (APM) solutions in the ColdFusion / Java segment. Intergral’s flagship product – FusionReactor – www.fusion-reactor.com is used on over 30,000 production servers and has been purchased by over 5,000 customers.
- David Tattersall | LinkedIn
- Email David (at) fusion-reactor.com
Michaela Light 0:02
Welcome back to the show. I'm here with David Tattersall from integral and we're going to be talking about the amazing new features in fusion reactor nine, for making your cold fusion apps run fast and not have crashes. Or if they do have slowdowns or crashes, you can diagnose quickly, what's going on. And there's a lot of new features in version nine. So we'll get into that in the episode and we'll go through some demos for those of you on video, you'll be able to see the demo for those listening on audio, we'll walk through the eight cool stuff that you're seeing. And if you don't know, David, he has been in the cold fusion world forever. I don't forget what year you started in cold fusion murmur seeing it some early cfunited conferences, and 8790 97. Wow. Or at
David Tattersall 0:52
the end of 96? I think it was. So it was CF two, and we were an hour. And we were a Macromedia partner. And now we're in Adobe partner. So it's been around for the long haul.
Michaela Light 1:08
You have. And fusion reactor is used on 330 1000 production servers. So if you're not using it, we certainly use it a terror attack, recommend you check it out, they have a free 14 day trial, you can try it out. And they have some low price developer versions, or they have Enterprise versions of all versions in between. So welcome, David.
David Tattersall 1:28
Thank you. Thanks for having me. Yeah.
Michaela Light 1:32
So for those few people who have never heard a fusion reactor, maybe you should explain what the heck it is, what the heck is fusion
David Tattersall 1:41
reactor. So fusion reactor is an application performance monitor. So monitors essentially do two things, they measure stuff, and they alert you if something's going wrong. So with measurements, we're talking about telemetry, so it measures things like CPU measures, memory measures, transaction throughput, it measures what you're doing on the database. And if it detects that something's gone wrong, then it can alert you. And it can also help you to pinpoint where the problem is. And it does that in a number of different ways through analyzing the data. So the metrics and telemetry, it also does it by automatic error detection. So if something if it detects that some error has occurred, it will pinpoint that error for you. And you can also do things like like production debugging, so you can actually go into your code, set breakpoints, or set trace points to look at variables and actually analyze your code as it's executing. So a whole range of capabilities. And we've also got some new stuff that we've just released. And we're just releasing right now. And I think I'll go through that in the demo.
Michaela Light is the host of the CF Alive Podcast and has interviewed more than 100 ColdFusion experts. In each interview, she asks "What Would It Take to make CF more alive this year?" The answers still inspire her to continue to write and interview new speakers.
Michaela has been programming in ColdFusion for more than 20 years. She founded TeraTech in 1989. The company specializes in ColdFusion application development, security and optimization. She has also founded the CFUnited Conference and runs the annual State of the CF Union Survey.
Join the CF Alive revolutionDiscover how we can all make CF more alive, modern and secure this year. Join other ColdFusion developers and managers in the CF Alive Inner Circle today.
- Get early access to the CF Alive book and videos
- Be part of a new movement for improving CF's perception in the world.
- Contribute to the CF Alive revolution
- Connect with other CF developers and managers
- There is no cost to membership.