David Tattersall talks about “Into the CLOUD with FusionReactor (ColdFusion Application Performance Monitor)” in this episode of ColdFusion Alive Podcast, with host Michaela Light.
- Show notes
- What is FusionReactor CLOUD?
- What is FusionReactor
- Why go to the CLOUD?
- Is this secure?
- When was FR CLOUD launched?
- FR CLOUD demo
- CLOUD license
- FR CLOUD works with Java too
- Data retention (not just memory) from a week to 30-90 days (depending on the CLOUD version Ent or Ultra)
- Capturing only interesting transactions (ITs) – not all of them
- Powerful alerting engine on any of the metrics in FusionReactor CLOUD, with integration to many common Alerting Channels – such as
- Why did you add FR to the CLOUD?
- What versions of ACF and Lucee does FR work with?
- How was CFCAMP this year?
- Next conference
- Why are you proud to support CF?
- WWIT for CF to be more alive this year?
- Mentioned in this episode
- Listen to the Audio
- Interview Transcript
What is FusionReactor CLOUD?
- CLOUD version of FusionReactor with extra features over the on-premises version
What is FusionReactor
- FR is on premise tool
- Server Monitor and alert
- Crash protection
- Low overhead CF and Java application performance monitor
- Less than 1% overhead compared to 2-5% on other monitors
- Low overhead includes lots of tools such as debugging, JDBC, Database
- It can measure 100’s of different metrics + alert you to potential issues
Why go to the CLOUD?
- Keep more data
- More AI in the app
- More analysis of the data
- See patterns in billions of transactions
Is this secure?
- Yes, your data is kept separate from others
- Can obfuscate some data such as credit cards
- Can use Fusion Analytics if you prefer not to use the CLOUD
When was FR CLOUD launched?
- August 2017
- Daily deployment and improvements (no version numbers) – it is a SaaS!
FR CLOUD demo
- It includes a copy of FR regular
- CLOUD $99/mo/server Ent, $149/mo/server Ultimate
- Upto 5 instances per server
- Docker containers on demand licenses vs reservations for permanent servers
- On demand is 10% more cost but is only billed by the minute of use
FR CLOUD works with Java too
Data retention (not just memory) from a week to 30-90 days (depending on the CLOUD version Ent or Ultra)
Capturing only interesting transactions (ITs) – not all of them
Powerful alerting engine on any of the metrics in FusionReactor CLOUD, with integration to many common Alerting Channels – such as
Why did you add FR to the CLOUD?
- Save server monitoring data to the CLOUD so it doesn’t clog up your server
- Combining metrics from multiple servers (instances), say across a cluster, to provide a combined application view
- FusionAnalytics for on premise, in-depth analysis
- Two way link from FR CLOUD to the local FR so can run a stack trace or GC from the CLOUD
- Webinar on this at https://www.fusion-reactor.com/webinar/fusionreactor-CLOUD/
- They use use FR to monitor FR CLOUD
What versions of ACF and Lucee does FR work with?
- ACF 6.1, 7 MX (FusionReactor 4.5)
- ACF 8,9,10, 11, 2016 (latest version of FR)
- Railo 3.x, 4.x
- Lucee 4.5, 5.x
- Also supports Java containers e.g. Tomcat, JBoss, GLassfish, Websphere + many Java frameworks e.g. Spring and Struts
How was CFCAMP this year?
- DevNexus Feb 23-25 2018
Why are you proud to support CF?
WWIT for CF to be more alive this year?
Mentioned in this episode
- Jetty – Eclipse Jetty provides a Web server and javax.servlet container, plus support for HTTP/2, WebSocket, OSGi, JMX, JNDI, JAAS and many other integrations.
- Using FR with Docker Swarm Brad Wood video
- ColdFusion on Docker
Listen to the Audio
David Tattersall has been in working in IT for over 30 years. Since co-founding Intergral in 1998, he focused on company management, business development and sales & marketing. Intergral has become a leader in server monitoring and application performance monitoring (APM) solutions in the ColdFusion / Java segment. His flagship product – FusionReactor – www.fusion-reactor.com is used on over 25,000 production servers and has been purchased by over 5,000 customers.
So welcome back to the show. I'm here with David Hansel and he's the CEO of integral in Germany and from their worldwide headquarters, he's gonna be demoing to us my home office home office,
he's gonna be telling us all about fusion reactor cloud, which is their new version. And it has a lot of interesting new features that lets you keep a lot more data. And it's even I I'm almost thinking it's almost an AI. But I know it's not really an AI. But it actually only kind of keeps track of intelligent stuff as to potential problems, what we're going to whatever it does, that's new, I know, it can also tie into some other tools like Slack, and other things, too, with the alerts. So welcome, David. Thank you. Welcome to you soon. So what exactly is future from reactive cloud just in a sentence or two, just in a sentence or two? Okay, well, fusion reactor cloud
is a new software as a service that we're offering,
it's been available now,
David Tattersal 1:15
since August of this year, we've actually been running it for about one and a half years, actually, we had a closed beta, where we had a number of customers that showed interest in the cloud, they were participating in the pizza. But we've been we've pushed it officially, officially, along with fusion reactor seven, which was in August of this year, what does cloud do so basically, even think of cloud as extending a fusion reactor on premise. So if you take a cloud licensee, if you purchase the cloud license, then you get fusion reactor on premise, just like you had before. And you also get a fusion reactor Cloud account.
Michaela Light is the host of the CF Alive Podcast and has interviewed more than 100 ColdFusion experts. In each interview, she asks "What Would It Take to make CF more alive this year?" The answers still inspire her to continue to write and interview new speakers.
Michaela has been programming in ColdFusion for more than 20 years. She founded TeraTech in 1989. The company specializes in ColdFusion application development, security and optimization. She has also founded the CFUnited Conference and runs the annual State of the CF Union Survey.
And to continue learning how to make your ColdFusion apps more modern and alive, I encourage you to download our free ColdFusion Alive Best Practices Checklist.
Because… perhaps you are responsible for a mission-critical or revenue-generating CF application that you don’t trust 100%, where implementing new features is a painful ad-hoc process with slow turnaround even for simple requests.
What if you have no contingency plan for a sudden developer departure or a server outage? Perhaps every time a new freelancer works on your site, something breaks. Or your application availability, security, and reliability are poor.
And if you are depending on ColdFusion for your job, then you can’t afford to let your CF development methods die on the vine.
You’re making a high-stakes bet that everything is going to be OK using the same old app creation ways in that one language — forever.
All it would take is for your fellow CF developer to quit or for your CIO to decide to leave the (falsely) perceived sinking ship of CFML and you could lose everything—your project, your hard-won CF skills, and possibly even your job.
Luckily, there are a number of simple, logical steps you can take now to protect yourself from these obvious risks.
No Brainer ColdFusion Best Practices to Ensure You Thrive No Matter What Happens Next
Modern ColdFusion development best practices that reduce stress, inefficiency, project lifecycle costs while simultaneously increasing project velocity and innovation.
√ Easily create a consistent server architecture across development, testing, and production
√ A modern test environment to prevent bugs from spreading
√ Automated continuous integration tools that work well with CF
√ A portable development environment baked into your codebase… for free!
Learn about these and many more strategies in our free ColdFusion Alive Best Practices Checklist.