Mike Brunt talks about “ColdFusion and the Blockchain Revolution” in this episode of the CF Alive Podcast, with host Michaela Light.
- Shoe notes
- What is the Blockchain?
- Why does it matter to CFers?
- Using CF as the best glue between the blockchain and databases
- Blockchain projects that Mike is working on
- AI and Blockchain
- JVM tuning and AI?
- Blockchain vs GDPR approach to privacy
- Blockchain evolution vs web evolution and CF
- Why are you proud to use CF?
- WWIT to make CF more alive this year?
- What did you enjoy at CF Summit West last year?
- Mentioned in this episode
- Listen to the Audio
- Interview Transcript:
- Join the CF Alive revolution
What is the Blockchain?
- DLT = Distributed Ledger Technology
- Transactions and identities
- 2009 Bitcoin launch – decentralized value exchange, peer to peer
- Etherium – BLT plus code (DAPs)
- Easier to use
- Coins based on ETH
- Smart Contract
- Other blockchains
- Compare Blockchain to a network level protocol
- Compare Blockchain to music P2P (distributed) vs Napster (centralized)
- Permissioned vs Permissionless blockchain (self-governing)
- DLT = Distributed Ledger Technology
Why does it matter to CFers?
- Blockchain uses REST API
- CF is the easiest way to create apps that use REST API
- Calling Blockchain APIs from CF using the API manager
Using CF as the best glue between the blockchain and databases
- The data req in a blockchain app is still in databases
- CommandBox now officially supported by Adobe
Blockchain projects that Mike is working on
- Land Dollar – coin backed by land
- Digi FreeLabs – biofuels
AI and Blockchain
JVM tuning and AI?
Blockchain vs GDPR approach to privacy
- Ownership of your own data
- Self-sovereign identity – control which parts of your data you share
Blockchain evolution vs web evolution and CF
- Lack of developers
- CF revolutionized web development
- EOS $4 Billion raised
- CF and Java for blockchain development
- Lack of developers
Why are you proud to use CF?
WWIT to make CF more alive this year?
- Sample apps
What did you enjoy at CF Summit West last year?
Mentioned in this episode
Blockchain groupings hyperledger Linux foundation (Apache founder)
Visual dev tools
Goldman Sachs 300,000 hours of legal work done by an AI legal system
Indy hyperledger project for self sovereign identity
Listen to the Audio
Mike Brunt was born in Northern England in 1948. It was a time of austerity for the British people who had rationing in place due to the effects of the Second World War. He pursued a management career in transportation equipment becoming Director of Excess Stock at British Leyland Truck and Bus. He moved to the USA in 1989 and eventually took up a career path in technology, coinciding with the emergence of the World Wide Web. Mike then became involved in Teleradiology working alongside Kodak, Lucent Technologies and GTE. Currently Mike is still deeply involved in technology, being a specialist in capacity planning and tuning for Java systems and he is becoming ever more involved with Blockchain and peer-to-peer based infrastructure.
In addition to his career path Mike is a composer and musical having been involved in the creation of 11 electronic music albums, Mike also paints with well over 100 paintings located in Los Angeles, New Zealand and Eugene Oregon. Lastly Mike is a Permaculture Certified Designer and lives on a 5 acre farm in the Eugene area of Oregon.
Mike Brunt is also known as CF Whisperer.
Welcome back to the show. I'm here with Mike Brunt sometimes known as the CF whisperer. And he has been doing cold fusion since version one. And he's an expert at tuning cold fusion web service. And he's done it for many large organizations around the world. And what you may not know about Mike, he's also a music composer, and a musician and a painter, and a permaculture. Gardner, I guess, the right phrases for
he's a world traveler. He grew up in England and being in Los Angeles, New Zealand, now he's in Eugene, Oregon. So welcome, Mike. Yes, thank you. And thanks for George family meal. You know, a low in Britain when you say having me all I mean, she's pulling from the lake, but that's another story. No, no, we won't do too much like pulling, I'm sure. Right. We are going to be talking about cold fusion and the blockchain revolution. So I'm sure many people listening have heard about it coin and various other blockchain projects. But how can we interact with them using cold fusion? And you know, what does that why true that matter to call cold fusion developers and why cold fusion is the best language to do this in
and some of the blockchain projects that Mike is currently working on, we'll talk about as well as using the cold fusion API manager to make things easier for all this. And if we get time we will wrap a bit about blockchain versus the GDPR PR, European approach to privacy. I think he might have some controversial views there, Mike
Um, and we'll also if we have time talk about blockchain evolution and how that compares to the web development evolution that cold fusion was part of back around late 90s or 2000. So let's start off with just in case anyone listening doesn't know what the blockchain is. Can you just succinctly tell us what what is the blockchain yeah
Mike Brunt 2:06
so I'll start by saying when I shot it to become involved I've started to become involved when if cereal came out it didn't really feel the second biggest name in the blockchain cryptocurrency world
Bitcoin still out there in front even know people criticize criticized it for me to eternity in one way or another. And I'd like to dispel some of those mix too. But so Bitcoin was the first use of blockchain technology. And another another term for blockchain technology, which is probably more accurate nowadays is distributed ledger technology or the LT
Michaela Light is the host of the CF Alive Podcast and has interviewed more than 100 ColdFusion experts. In each interview, she asks "What Would It Take to make CF more alive this year?" The answers still inspire her to continue to write and interview new speakers.
Michaela has been programming in ColdFusion for more than 20 years. She founded TeraTech in 1989. The company specializes in ColdFusion application development, security and optimization. She has also founded the CFUnited Conference and runs the annual State of the CF Union Survey.
Join the CF Alive revolutionDiscover how we can all make CF more alive, modern and secure this year. Join other ColdFusion developers and managers in the CF Alive Inner Circle today.
- Get early access to the CF Alive book and videos
- Be part of a new movement for improving CF's perception in the world.
- Contribute to the CF Alive revolution
- Connect with other CF developers and managers
- There is no cost to membership.