The initial results of the 2022 State of CF Union Survey have some interesting info and graphs. Here is my initial analysis:
- Adobe CF 2018 is the most popular version, closely followed by Lucee CFML 5.3 and Adobe CF 2021
- Adobe CF (all versions combined) continues to be more popular than Lucee (all versions combined)
- ACF 2021 has gained a lot of users this year
- SQL Server is still the most used database, way ahead of MySQL
- Custom/homebrew is the most popular framework, ahead of ColdBox, FW/1 and CFWheels
- Vue.js is moved further ahead of React and Angular for front end frameworks
- CommandBox has grown in users this year
- Source control – CFers continue to use Git the most (in all its favors: Bitbucket, GitHub, GitLabs etc)
- VS Code has roared even further ahead as the top CF IDE.
- Plus I hear Adobe is releasing new CF IDE on top of VS Code in Q2 2022
- Message Queue are starting to be used more. Top ones are AWS SQS and RabbitMQ
- CF hosting – In House is the most popular, followed by AWS, Hostek, Digital Ocean and Azure
- Docker has moved ahead this year for containizing your CF server – which makes picking an ISP less relevant as you can use any cloud provider! Also check out Lightsail for Lucee VPS hosting on cloud.
- Very few CF hacking incidents this year, even if you count the Log4j one last month.
- Top problems with CF are “Nothing”, hiring CF devs, Cost/Licencing issues and not enough marketing/press
- CFers pick CF because it is fast to code in, easy to learn and fun to use; plus they have a lot of legacy CF code 🙂
If you haven't taken this year's survey yet then you can do so at 2022 State of the CF Union survey.
Thanks for helping make CF more Alive this year!