Remote work is a great thing. But not when it’s not your choice
- Are all CFers working from home during Coronavirus?
- Work From Home Essentials
- Increasing Your Productivity
- How to stay calm in stressful situations
- Intuition Combats Stress
- Turn your stress and anxiety into a super business power
- For those that are on leave or don’t have work for the time being…
- How about learning something new?
- Job hunting tips for Adobe ColdFusion Developers
- Useful tools for you and your team during COVID-19
- Work From Home and CFML
- Remote working becomes more natural to many Vs. old school commute routine
- Lastly, stay sane and don’t consume b****it
You might be one of the people that already was working from home. I am part of that club also. Looking behind, nothing could make me go back. Flexible life is great, and for many reasons.
But, what about the majority of people that do work in the office, and like it, more or less? What about those people that enjoy community and meeting people every day?
The COVID-19 outbreak affects many people. The pandemic has changed our lives in a big way. Applying social distancing to flatten the curve means that many people will be working from home. And they are adjusting. We see interesting and funny posts on social media, such as people using kitchen counters, treadmills, and other things as workstation substitutes.
That’s great and all. But what if, overtime, your own home becomes a prison? What happens then?
Things we will discuss today:
You might say that working from home destroys your productivity. And that the office is a place to work and home is well, whatever you decide it is for. And when pandemics such as COVID-19 happens, we are forced to blur the lines between the two. And that may throw us off, in the long term.
People are prone to…
…and other negative feelings when they are forced to do something against their will for a long time.
Then there are the positives!
What about that morning commute where you lose 45-60 minutes traveling to work. And that much going back home in the afternoon? You get to save that and dedicate that part of the day to something else. What about spending quality time with kids, family, your pet, or going to the gym and working on your health? Maybe learning piano – something you never got to do because of your busy schedule? Well, now you have more chance to do that.
Let me remind you of all those New Years resolutions; you really don’t need to wait for the next January 1st to see how many of those you have achieved (or haven’t). This is the time to start working on yourself. So take this opportunity to do just that. Don’t let your time pass by because of your worries.
Work From Home Essentials
A good routine and a determined mindset are essential. After you decide it’s time to start working and stop watching your favorite Netflix show, here’s what you should do next. Work on:
- Increasing your productivity and
- Reducing your stress
Increasing Your Productivity
Top managers all around the world share the same problems during these times. They have to keep up the image of a tough and powerful individual to the rest of their teams. They also have to resolve their employees’ issues on top of their own. They also have to make difficult decisions. Change plans and goals for the year. All the while, keeping most of it inside and not verbalizing it. They try to to tackle every task with few or no mistakes at all, acting as they’re inhuman to others.
Meanwhile, the pressure keeps adding on and gets to unbearable levels.
I’m sure you can relate too. How do you often feel:
- Stressed out (tense, which is most common)
- Anxious (thoughts racing, when you’re anticipating something bad that could happen)
- Generally shitty (sometimes, things just don’t go your way – I'm a failure)
- Depressed (problems have accumulated and got the best of you over time)
I can only guess that your answer is “quite a lot.”
We can try solve that. Bear in mind, the steps to do this may seem easy. They’re easy to comprehend, but it takes a certain amount of time to adopt the habit and gain the skill to follow this through consistently. But you should know that you really don’t have to trade your health for success. You just need to put in the effort to view the stress in a different way and deal with it in a productive manner. These first two steps should become a routine at some point:
- Wanting to have an abundant, profitable and joyful day is the first step.
To achieve this, you need to ask yourself WWIT (what would it take?)
- Next, you need to TLC (To the Light, Connect). It will only take a minute. Do it daily, before work and phone calls.
We know that other people can bring stress to your life. Reducing stress is also about shielding yourself from somebody else’s negative energy. Don’t let somebody else’s bad vibe influence your day. Instead, bring them closer to your positivity. The way to do this is again, the magic of TLC; by sending them light, you immediately stop having negative thoughts, and the person will receive a positive vibe from you.
How to stay calm in stressful situations
Our intuition is our self-preservation system so it makes sense that we can harness its power to help save us from stress.
First, What Are the Effects of Stress?
When we enter a stressful situation our brain releases the stress hormone ‘cortisol’. This triggers our body’s ‘fight or flight’ instinct making our heart race, our breath quicken, and our muscles tighten.
In certain short-term situations, stress can be beneficial. It is, after all, a natural, self-preservation response. However, sustained high levels of this stress hormone can lead to numerous health concerns. A recent study from Yale University has proven that,
“stress affects physiological functions in the brain, contributing to chronic diseases like hypertension and diabetes.”
Here are just some of the symptoms of chronic stress:
- High blood pressure
- Fertility problems
- Digestive issues
- High blood sugar
Intuition Combats Stress
There are intuitive methods we can use to help us effectively deal with stressful situations. Sometimes stress comes from an outside source, but it can also come from within. It may be something from our past that has settled into a pattern and is triggered when we enter certain situations.
Turn your stress and anxiety into a super business power
“The main turning point for me was one acceptance just kind of like surrendering. Be like okay, I'm in this position. Like I'm not gonna resist any more because I’m already in so much pain. So this is the first level: accepting what is, and then taking the best action. I think there's this deeper rooted level of self-love, and just like loving myself no matter where I'm at.” – Jeremy GinsburgHere are the steps taken by Jeremy when he talked with me in the ILM Podcast show:
- Taking best action – use WWIT
- Self-love no matter where I am at
- Not distracting or running away
- Go into the pain, dance with it
- Experience/feel vs. fix
Related: ILM Podcast episode with Jeremy
For those that are on leave or don’t have work for the time being…
If you want to work, there’s always some option. Your company might have left you out of work, but you can always take the opportunity to do something.
How about learning something new?
Here’s a list of 450 free Ivy League university courses that you can enroll in and start learning new skills and gain new knowledge. The courses fall under these fields:
- Computer science
- Data science
- Art and design
- Social sciences
- Health and medicine
- Education & Teaching
- Personal Development
Job hunting tips for Adobe ColdFusion Developers
Whatever your situation, the road ahead may seem daunting if you haven’t looked for a job in a while.
Especially if you’re looking for a job in ColdFusion. The chorus of people in the shadows keeps echoing the same tired points.
Don’t let negativity creep in at the start of your job search. It will only make your quest much harder. Let me give you a few tips and tricks to landing the ColdFusion gig of your dreams.
A lot of it is common sense. The rest is just knowing where to look.
I’d like to help you to:
- Find work if you’re a CFer or developer
- Find resources for CF job seekers
- Tips and tricks to being a better job candidate
Here are a few ways to find ColdFusion job openings.
- Job Platforms
- Market yourself well
- Be a pro
- Always stay up to date
Learn more about this at: How To Find Your Next Job As a ColdFusion Developer (Job hunting tips for CFers)
Useful tools for you and your team during COVID-19
Chat and instant messaging
Conference calls and video meetings
- IStorage datAshur Pro2: Encrypted storage to keep your confidential work files safe while away from the office. Read the review here.
- SecureDrive BT: Larger-capacity encrypted storage with some great app features that keep your work files safe. Read the review here.
- Drobo 5N2: Fast, reliable, redundant network storage device backup for working with large volumes of files. Great for photographers, videographers, and others. Read the review here.
- HP MFP M148fdw: An excellent laser-jet office printer that is easy to set up and use. For a color alternative, try the HP OfficeJet Pro 9025. Read the review here.
- OWC USB-C Travel Dock: A handy, small and portable dock for laptops with USB-C ports. Read the review here.
- Logitech G602 Mouse: One of the best mice on the market and useful beyond gaming. Get it here.
- Razer Basilisk V2: Another gaming mouse that works amazingly well for business use. Get it here.
- Logitech Craft Keyboard: One of the best Bluetooth keyboards on the market. Pricey, but the best. Read the review here.
- Logitech C922 webcam: Sometimes you need more than your laptop webcam, and this is that. Read the review here.
- Totallee Wireless Charger: A must-have if you have a phone that supports Qi-wireless charging. Read the review here.
- JLab GO Air: The best budget true-wireless headphones on the market. Read the review here.
- Skullcandy Crusher ANC: Awesome over-ear ANC headphones to keep the noise out. Read the review here.
- Kanto SYD: A great Bluetooth speaker for a full-room sound. Great for any office. Read the review here.
- Apple Watch Series 5: A great accessory for your iPhone 11 Pro Max, and it can monitor your health. Get it here.
- Samsung Galaxy Watch Active2: A great accessory for your Samsung Galaxy Note10+. Get it here.
- Cyberpower UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply): Don't let a power outage take you down. Get it here.
Read the full Newsweek article about these tips here.
Work From Home and CFML
This might be an excellent time to reassess your skills and options for the future. Learning new stuff and new skills is always interesting. Now it’s also a safe haven since there’s nott much you can do besides staying home. Turn off that Netflix series and start learning ColdFusion. It’s fun and it might make a huge difference in your income!
The ColdFusion community is one of the best I have seen. Honestly. From so many excellent conferences to some other helpful resources, like online training for example. You can meet a lot of people just being happy to share their knowledge, and talk to other developers and enthusiasts about CFML, Lucee, ColdBox, or any other topic.
Remote working becomes more natural to many Vs. old school commute routine
Most of the CIO’s and managers had to adapt fast to this new situation. This comes mostly from not being trustfull to the people they work with, and the fear that the employees might take advantage of this situation. Siting at your desk means that you are busy.
I strongly disagree.
There are so many super- productive people that are working remotely for quite some time now, a lot earlier that Covid 19 pandemic started.
This situation might make those doubting Thomas little less doubtfull and create more acceptance of remote work.
Here’s the full list of Comprehensive ColdFusion training list (Learn CFML Fast)
Lastly, stay sane and don’t consume b****it
Try not to fall under social media and daily news pressure. Yes, stay informed, stay updated, but you don’t need a news channel on 24/7.
This is your chance to learn.
- Take breaks
- Create a routine and follow it
- Keep healthy daily work and life habits.
Spend some quality time with yourself and your family. Or do anything besides work that you wanted for so long, and now you have the time. And more importantly, now you are healthy. Stay healthy!