Dakota Clum and Ryan Brown talk about “ColdFusion Hosting options (what to consider when choosing a CF host)” in this episode of ColdFusion Alive Podcast with host Michaela Light.
“……you shouldn't have to be trapped with one hosting option or one provider. So when we think about the AWS are the answers of the world, when there's a need for those specific resources are specific tooling and libraries, we want to be able to support that. So, to your point, there's no kind of lock in, or anything like that you shouldn't do one or the other, you should keep all the options open to you. ”
- Show notes
- What is new in CF hosting this year?
- What to consider when choosing a CF hosting?
- ColdFusion Hosting options
- Load balancing
- ACF Licensing on your own versus a cloud provider
- ColdFusion Tuning & Optimization
- ColdFusion Upgrade Protection
- Need for AWS specific features
- Future of CF hosting
- Mentioned in this episode
- Listen to the Audio
- Interview transcript
- Join the CF Alive revolution
What is new in CF hosting this year?
- Adobe is moving to an annual release schedule
- Investment in CF
- Adobe committed 10 years of support
What to consider when choosing a CF hosting?
- CF support at app level, server layer,
- Responsible esp
- updates/hotfix support and proactive patch
- CF admin access
- All major release of ACF supported and able to rollback to older version during migration if needed
- WAF firewall
- End point protection
ColdFusion Hosting options
- Docker containers
- Easier clustering on the fly, pay only for time needed
- Scalable pricing but harder to budget
- VPS Cloud
- Your own server
- Resize on the flip
- Faster and easy backup and restore and cloning
- Dedicated server
- Pay monthly
- Cheaper, but other users can use up resources / crash server
- On prem, managed, co-location
- Your own ACF license
- More control of physical server – he organization rule or in
- Cluster CF servers
- Cluster database servers
- Azure SQL Database
- Caching front end such as CloudFlare
ACF Licensing on your own versus a cloud provider
- Adobe cloud license
- Bring your own license
- CPU Core count
ColdFusion Tuning & Optimization
- ColdFusion Installation & Configuration
- Config of CF server and JVM
- Patches of CF, Java, Windows
- JVM memory use
- Tuning to your app
- CF package manager
- Patch & Hotfix support
- Dedicated box – they self support as their
- VPS level has best support
- Shared level has worse support, as the money is not there to pay for it
- Might as well self host using Docker and DigitalOcean
ColdFusion Upgrade Protection
- Access to new versions for migration testing
- Lucee vs ACF
- Older versions
Need for AWS specific features
- Docker and Kubernetes
- Backup strategy and retention time
- Onsite and offsite
- Disaster recovery (DR) plan
- Server, CF server settings, CF code, Database
- Protection against ransomware attacks
- Test your restores and DR plan
- Cost vs Downtime
Future of CF hosting
- More CF adoption
- Annual release cycle and new features
- App hosting pre-tuned vs genetic CF hosting
- FusionReactor AI features
- CF AI features for security and performance and tuning
Mentioned in this episode
- ColdFusion Hosting: How To Choose the Best One
- Fun stories about different xByte customer experiences
Listen to the Audio
Dakota is CTO at xByte Hosting with a specialization in cloud and dedicated infrastructure solutions. He is responsible for delivering secure and innovative solutions that helps organizations reach scale. With a strong focus on customer satisfaction and innovative problem-solving, Dakota possesses a passion for helping organizations adopt enterprise cloud solutions.
CMO for xByte hosting
Ryan graduated from Virginia Tech with an Accounting Information Systems degree and has been in the I.T. industry for 28 years. His career began talking to customers about their business needs as a sales engineer for an ERP software company. Since then, he has ventured into product management, marketing, and multiple leadership roles. Beyond knowledge of both software and hardware technologies, he has an expertise in understanding business’ needs and finding the right solution.
Michaela Light 0:01
Welcome back to the show. I'm here with Dakota Clum and Ryan Brown from ex byte. And we're going to be talking about cold fusion hosting options and what you should be very careful of when picking a cold fusion host. And what's new in the ColdFusion hosting world this year? So, welcome, Dakota and Ryan.
Dakota Clum 0:23
Thank you. Thanks for having us.
Michaela Light 0:25
And Dakota isn't CTO xByte hosting. He's been involved in ColdFusion hosting for over 15 years. And he loves helping organizations with enterprise cloud solutions. And Ryan has been doing it for 28 years. And he's the Chief Marketing ops officer for x y hosting. So great to see you both here. And I'll put their emails and LinkedIn and any other good links that we dream up into the show notes at TeraTech.com. So I guess I'm curious what is new in ColdFusion hosting this year?
Ryan Brown 1:03
I mean, we are xByte, that's, that's new. We're new on the scene shaking things up a little bit. So we, we've got tons of experience backing us. But we're, we're I guess we're new to the company is new to the scene. So we're now at the beginning of this year, coming out there shaking things up. And then, of course, Adobe moving to one release every year. That's, that's exciting.
Michaela Light 1:03
Yes, I learned that in a previous episode with Kishore from Adobe. What are both of your reactions to the shift annual releases?
Michaela Light is the host of the CF Alive Podcast and has interviewed more than 100 ColdFusion experts. In each interview, she asks "What Would It Take to make CF more alive this year?" The answers still inspire her to continue to write and interview new speakers.
Michaela has been programming in ColdFusion for more than 20 years. She founded TeraTech in 1989. The company specializes in ColdFusion application development, security and optimization. She has also founded the CFUnited Conference and runs the annual State of the CF Union Survey.
Join the CF Alive revolutionDiscover how we can all make CF more alive, modern and secure this year. Join other ColdFusion developers and managers in the CF Alive Inner Circle today.
- Get early access to the CF Alive book and videos
- Be part of a new movement for improving CF's perception in the world.
- Contribute to the CF Alive revolution
- Connect with other CF developers and managers
- There is no cost to membership.