Kishore Balakrishnan talks about “Adobe ColdFusion 2018 (All that is new)” in this episode of the CF Alive Podcast, with host Michaela Light.
Here are some of the topics discussed in this podcast:
- Performance improvements
- Performance tuning
- Server Monitor (NEW)
- Flag performance issues and isolate problem areas so that you can initiate corrective action much faster. Know the average response time and throughput across the cluster, or specific to a node, application, or page, in real time. The information will also be automatically archived for historical analysis. More at https://coldfusion.adobe.com/2018/07/server-monitor/
- Code profiler (NEW)
- Swiftly identify and resolve complex performance issues buried deep in your code. Get the detailed information required to pinpoint the root cause of bottlenecks, and troubleshoot applications more effectively. More at https://coldfusion.adobe.com/2018/07/code-profiler/
- Database Monitor (NEW)
- Make sure your database does not act as a drag on application performance. Monitor all database queries, transactions, and query cache, visually, and get pre-determined or customized alerts to pro-actively take preventive or corrective action. More at https://coldfusion.adobe.com/2018/07/database-discovery/
- External Services Monitor (NEW)
- Zero in on external factors such as web services, file system, mail server, LDAP, Microsoft SharePoint, or transfer protocols, that could be slowing down application performance. Ensure that all the components of your IT infrastructure are working in sync. More at https://coldfusion.adobe.com/2018/07/external-services/
- Automatic connector tuning [NEW]
- Ensure that your websites are always up and running. Eliminate 503 Service Unavailable errors by allowing the Performance Monitoring Toolset to dynamically adjust connector settings based on incoming traffic. More at https://coldfusion.adobe.com/2018/07/connector-tuning/
- Distributed cache (NEW)
- Improve performance and enhance scalability by leveraging built-in support for three popular industry engines: JCS, Memcached, and Redis. Also plug in your own caching engine by implementing a simple CFML interface. More at https://coldfusion.adobe.com/2018/07/distributed-caching-coldfusion-2018-release
- Security tools and improvements
- Security code analyzer from CF 2016
- Auto lockdown (NEW)
Now implement lockdown of your production server with a single click. All steps in the lockdown guide will be systematically followed, ensuring that the security measures are fail-safe and in compliance. Post-lockdown, the system will continue to be monitored for potential breaches. More at https://coldfusion.adobe.com/2018/07/server-auto-lockdown/
- New Language features:
- Asynchronous programming (NEW)
- Boost the performance of your principal application by offloading resource-intensive code segments to a secondary thread. Simply use the RUNASYNC function to execute code without the overhead of managing multiple threads. Once the result is ready to be consumed, you will receive a notification. More at https://coldfusion.adobe.com/2018/07/asynchronous-programming-in-coldfusion-2018-release/
- Modern admin UI (NEW)
- Enjoy a sleek, new responsive UI built on single web page architecture. Carry out all admin tasks faster with easier access to all the ColdFusion settings—just search for what you need. More at https://coldfusion.adobe.com/2018/07/new-administrator-ui-coldfusion/
- External storage for session scope (New)
- Eliminate concerns about memory constraints to store session data because you can now configure an external distributed store to retain session data outside memory. Get rid of sticky session configuration, and enjoy complete load balancing across all cluster nodes.
- REST playground (NEW)
- Create and manage all your REST services from a single application. The simple, intuitive UI makes it a breeze to validate the accuracy of your APIs. Make changes to your REST APIs without having to restart your application. More at https://coldfusion.adobe.com/2018/07/rest-playground-ion-2018-release/
- CLI and Read-Eval-Print Loop (REPL) (NEW)
- Work with files, databases, and email, or invoke web services, by executing CFM via the command line. Now execute the admin API from the CLI to script your ColdFusion server settings. Test-drive or learn CFML with REPL support in CLI. More at https://coldfusion.adobe.com/2018/07/repl-coldfusion-2018-release/
- Command-line interface (New)
- Work faster by using CFML for your scripting needs. Execute CFM files via the command line to work with files, databases and email or invoke web services. Pass named or positional parameters to the CFM files for dynamic customization.
- Comment exchange across files (New)
- Make your review workflows more efficient. Easily export comments from PDF documents to XFDF files or vice versa. Comment positioning in the destination file matches the file from which the comments were imported.
- Standardized PDF metadata (New)
- Ensure consistency of PDF metadata across the organization. Easily create, share and apply metadata, including copyright notice, authoring data and keywords, by transferring metadata between PDF and XMP files.
- Audience questions
- Updates on educational books, training
- Learn CF in a week
- YouTube course getting started with CF
- Complete web dev curriculum can
- licenses for HS and college professors to help onboard the future of developers
- Free education teaching license
- Email email@example.com
- Free education teaching license
- Adobe CF certifications
- CF 2018 March
- Updates on educational books, training
- Why are you proud to use CF?
- Easy to learn
- CF 2028
- Raksith email and slack
- WWIT for you to make CF more alive this year?
- More community participation
- Share cool apps outside CF Community too – to colleges and CIOs
- CF Summit East April 9
- CF Summit West
- What did you enjoy at CF Summit West?
- What are you looking forward to at CF Summit India?
Mentioned in this episode
- CF 2018 features https://www.adobe.com/products/coldfusion-standard/features.html
- Charlie Arehart Hidden Gems in CF 2018
- CF training resources https://teratech.com/comprehensive-coldfusion-training-list-16-resources/
Kishore Balakrishnan is a Senior Product Marketing Manager at Adobe Systems with a Master Degree in Computer Applications. At Adobe he has held roles of a Quality Manager, Program Manager before becoming the Product Marketing Manager. He enjoys being the ‘voice of the customer' within the organization, liaise with the sales team to facilitate the selling process and clearly communicates the why, what and when to the marketplace for CF. He lives in Bangalore with his wife and kid. Kishore loves his long runs and cooking.
Join the CF Alive revolutionDiscover how we can all make CF more alive, modern and secure this year. Join other ColdFusion developers and managers in the CF Alive Inner Circle today.
- Get early access to the CF Alive book and videos
- Be part of a new movement for improving CF's perception in the world.
- Contribute to the CF Alive revolution
- Connect with other CF developers and managers
- There is no cost to membership.
Michaela Light 0:00
Welcome back to the podcast. I'm here with Kishore Bella Krishna from Adobe. He's the product marketing manager for cold fusion and we're going to be talking about cold fusion 2018 and we're going to cover everything that is new in cold fusion 2018. And it is a lot of things. If you haven't looked at what's new, you may be surprised by all the stuff that's in there. So
we're going to look at both things on the server side that are new with the new server monitor and profiler database monitor
and also the security improvements on the server and with the automated lockdown and other security tools and then we're going to look at a whole bunch of new features in cold fusion 2018. So that's what's coming up and if you have any questions
let us know in the chat if you watching this live and we'll see if we can fit those
In so welcome occasional
thanks for for having me.
Michaela Light 1:06
And just in case you haven't met him before he he actually started out
doing computer science degree get a master's degree in Computer Applications and he's been all you know Quality Manager Program Manager but now he's the product marketing manager for cold fusion so if you're a customer called fusion you may well have met him at CF summit or other cold fusion conferences and he's always happy to talk with cold fusion developers and managers. So one So tell us about you know, cold fusion 2018 it just came out a few months ago was is that right? Yes, it came out in August and it's been a fantastic ride but corporation to MBA what we had been called called vision 28 or 2018 was
we looked at the three pillars of ColdFusion,
of performance language and security,
since it's an application. So platform performance was been very critical for customers. And then most of the surveys that we run, and we do run quite a bit of number of surveys performance and security, where the top concerns of our customers. So this release, what we did was we double down on performance and said, like, how do we, you know, make the server faster as well as how do we make customer's applications faster? So from
how do we make the server faster, what we did was the server runs 30% faster than 2016 delays. So if you have an application, which is running on 2016, just by upgrading to 2018, your applications will run 30% faster. And obviously, then, then what we thought was, what about our customers applications, obviously, we can't do much tweaking around that. So we came up with the application performance monitoring to using which the customer could easily identify and fix any performance bottlenecks that they have on the server. And we are taking the first step towards, you know, self monitoring of the server with the help of auto connected to meaning. So there's any issues with your connector, if you turn on the auto connected tuning, it'll automatically fix the connector issues as well. So the connector issues were
supporting us, you used to receive a lot of connector issues, connected tuning issues. And with this release, and with auto connector tuning in, built into the performance monitoring tool, we are hoping that we solve that issue, it becomes a sort of a cell feeling application server for this release, one day with the candidate joining and maybe we'll take about moving forward for the next releases as well.
Michaela Light 4:07
That's some No worries, that's amazing that, you know, you don't have to change your code a tool when you could see, you know, 25, 50%
performance increase, depending on you know, what your code is, like, I think you tested it on the Learn CF in a week sample code. And it was like 47% faster, and you tried it with some code box code. And that was a much faster