Rakshith Naresh talks about “Revealing the ColdFusion 2018 Roadmap details ” in this episode of ColdFusion Alive podcast with host Michael Smith.
- How has CF changed over the last few versions
- API management platform
- Docker container – official images will be available by end of Q3 2017
- + Redhat openshift platform
- What features are you focusing on CF 2018
- New Performance Management Suite
- Runtime faster
- Distributed caching (on separate server in your cluster)
- ASync programming
- Automated lockdown
- CF has the least number of issues of any App dev platform
- No Zero Day issues over the last 4 years (other languages have had them!)
- OO better inheritance including interface inheritance
- Pre-alpha release will be announced on blogs.coldfusion.com
- PDF better conversion
- How do you decide what features to add?
- What is the long term commitment of Adobe to ColdFusion?
- How are ColdFusion sales going for Adobe?
- Sales are growing 12% per year
- The biggest revenue for CF sales was this year
- Hence Adobe continues to invest in CF
- 5 years of support plus 2 years extended support
- CF 2016 will have full support through 2021. Extended support through 2023
- CF 2018 will have full support through 2023. Extended support through 2025
- Security hotfixes are provided in full support period
- Why are you proud to use CF?
- He has been on the CF team for 11 years (during CF 8 build as engineer)
- CF is critical to 76% of our customers in their tech
- 70% of Fortune 100 companies use CF
- 50% of Fortune 500 companies use CF
- WWIT for you to make CF more alive this year?
- New features in CF 2018
- CF Summit support
- Large customer and analyst (Gartner and Forrester) conversations
- Changing the perception of CF as being a modern and alive technology
- What are you looking forward to at CF Summit?
- 500+ attendees – was sold out last year
Mentioned in this episode
- Adobe ColdFusion 2018 roadmap
- Adobe ColdFusion open buglist
- Elishia CF Summit episode
- Redhat openshift container platform – a container application platform that brings docker and Kubernetes to the enterprise
- CF Summit
- API management platform
- Docker containers
- Adobe ColdFusion (2018 Release) Public Beta
- Docker containerization official version
- Docker containerization metered licensing cost
- The only form on cloud pricing that is available currently on AWS where you can pay by the hour – They will soon have CF 2018 on AWS too.
- Why You Should Attend CF Summit 2018
And to continue learning how to make your ColdFusion apps more modern and alive, I encourage you to download our free ColdFusion Alive Best Practices Checklist.
Because… perhaps you are responsible for a mission-critical or revenue-generating CF application that you don’t trust 100%, where implementing new features is a painful ad-hoc process with slow turnaround even for simple requests.
What if you have no contingency plan for a sudden developer departure or a server outage? Perhaps every time a new freelancer works on your site, something breaks. Or your application availability, security, and reliability are poor.
And if you are depending on ColdFusion for your job, then you can’t afford to let your CF development methods die on the vine.
You’re making a high-stakes bet that everything is going to be OK using the same old app creation ways in that one language — forever.
All it would take is for your fellow CF developer to quit or for your CIO to decide to leave the (falsely) perceived sinking ship of CFML and you could lose everything—your project, your hard-won CF skills, and possibly even your job.
Luckily, there are a number of simple, logical steps you can take now to protect yourself from these obvious risks.
No Brainer ColdFusion Best Practices to Ensure You Thrive No Matter What Happens Next
Modern ColdFusion development best practices that reduce stress, inefficiency, project lifecycle costs while simultaneously increasing project velocity and innovation.
√ Easily create a consistent server architecture across development, testing, and production
√ A modern test environment to prevent bugs from spreading
√ Automated continuous integration tools that work well with CF
√ A portable development environment baked into your codebase… for free!
Learn about these and many more strategies in our free ColdFusion Alive Best Practices Checklist.
Rakshith Naresh senior product manager for ColdFusion at Adobe. He decides the future direction of CF there.