Charlie Arehart talks about “More you missed from Adobe ColdFusion 10, 11, And 2016” in this episode of the CF Alive Podcast, with host Michaela Light.
Are you moving up to CF2016, or maybe 11? In doing so, are you skipping over 11, or perhaps even 10, in that move?
Shops often drag their feet upgrading from one version of CF to another and may well skip multiple releases in the process, so that they may not have paid attention to what was new in the release(s) skipped. Can you name the top 5 or 10 features/changes in these three most recent releases?
In this presentation, veteran CFer Charlie Arehart will help fill these gaps for you, highlighting the top features of 10, 11, and 2016, along with some hidden gems. (Whereas his classic “hidden gems” talks have gone deep to uncover a few dozen features per release, this talk will necessarily focus on just some key ones.) With demos and resources for learning more, you'll be in a better position to take full advantage of your new CF installation.
- What are the top features CFers may have missed
- Isn’t CF10 end of life?
- Yes but lots of people still running it (or CF9) ← security risk!
- State of CF Union Survey
- With CF 2018 about to come out why should CFers care about these “old” features?
- JVM changes – in CF 10 and forward
- JRUN → Tomcat
- Cloud deployment shifts
- The Elvis operator
- 100% cfscript is possible as of CF 11
- No day zero security issues for 4+ years
- CF Summit East
- Dual track
- 10 speakers
- Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel
- 999 Ninth Street NW
- CF conferences in DC
- Allaire DevCon 2000
- 20th anniversary of first CF conf in FT Collins CO Robi Sen
- CFUN in NIH
Mentioned in this episode
- The State of the CF Union survey 2018
- CF Alive Charlie episode on CF 10, 11 and 2016 missed features
- CF Alive Mike Collins CF Scaling episode
- Charlie’s forum post about “CF 2016 It Works!”
- “I'm not aware of any issues with CF2016 specifically, affecting some large percentage of folks moving to it, which should lead someone to conclude that they should not move to CF2016”
- Charlie’s blog post CF 10 updater help
- Charlie Arehart's Ultimate List of 200+ New ColdFusion 10 Features
- ColdFusion 11 New Functions and Tags
- ColdFusion 11 Hidden Gems
- ColdFusion 2016 What is new
- ColdFusion 2016 Hidden Gems
- Adobe products End of Life and Release dates
- CF10 End of Life 5/16/2017
- CF 11 End of Life 4/30/2019
- ColdFusion EULA
- All of Charlie’s presentations (over 100!)
- CF2016: What's deprecated and/or ‘no longer supported' (note: nothing ‘removed')
- With the Update of ColdFusion 9 to ColdFusion 11 the underlying chart engine changed from WebCharts3D to ZingCharts
- Adobe bug tracker
- CF-oriented Troubleshooting Consultants
- CF-oriented Application Development Consultants
- Beyond the CFML reference – the developers guide 3000 pages developing cf applications
- The first CF event at NIH was called the DCCFUC (DC CF User Conference) – see the bottom of
A veteran server troubleshooter who’s worked in enterprise IT for more than three decades, Charlie Arehart (@carehart) is a longtime community contributor who as an independent consultant provides short-term, remote, on-demand troubleshooting/tuning assistance for organizations of all sizes and experience levels (carehart.org/consulting).
PS Do you have a contingency plan for when you Ideal ColdFusion Developer gets hit by a bus?
What are the first steps you take for preventing the ColdFusion project problem?
This awesome Checklist is the best next step…