Geoff Bowers talks about “Secrets from the folks who make the official Lucee CFML Docker images” in this episode of ColdFusion Alive podcast with host Michael Smith.
- Secrets from the folks who make the official Lucee Docker images
- Treat your servers like cattle and not pets – throw old server away and instantiate a new clean one
- Much faster server spin up (seconds)
- Much easier server setup and programmable install
- Continuous delivery ⇒ more confidence at rolling out code changes
- Dev → stage → production
- CF DevOps Tips
- Version control of server instances
- No more running server upgrades or patches for CF, the JVM, the OS, the DB – pull a new Docker image and create a fresh server
- Programmatically server config
- Orchestration of server clusters
- High availability by having 2+ containers in different data centers (on AWS)
- Checkbox for MySQL replication (and read replicas)
- “Infrastructure on demand”
- Paying by the minute (auto shut down staging server at night and weekends to save 50% on your AWS costs
- Security scanning of docker images
- Converting to Docker
- No writing files locally → CDN or other shared location
- 5 day convert to Docker Daemon consulting
- Why Serverless is cool.
- Spaghetti server architecture
- Lasagna layers
- Ravioli micro services
- What new apps are you building in Lucee CFML
- University private video hosting
- AWS transcoding service
- Queue + auto scaling of servers
- 16 TB of data
- High availability infrastructure
- Tricks to migrating legacy ACF to Lucee CFML
- The app that would never die
- How he started WebDU and why they consciously chose to close it after a 10 year run.
- What did you enjoy at CFObjective?
- How did you come up with the name Daemon and @modius?
- Daemon (is pronounced Demon in the US) like Encyclopaedia / Haemoglobin
- Why are you proud to use CFML?
- WWIT to make CF more alive this year?
Mentioned in this episode
- Lucee CFML
- Debian Linux
- Alpine Linux – very lean (5MB)
- Microsoft Windows Docker containers
- Farcry CF CMS
- Patrick Quinn episode
- Park My Cloud
- Brian Klass AWS episode
- AWS transcoding service
- Amazon S3
- Amazon EC2
- Digital Ocean
- Brad Wood
Michael: I’m here with Geoff Bower from Demon. [If I’m saying that right. He gave me extensive lessons on how to pronounce it.] And we’re going to be talking about secrets from the folks who make the official Lucee CFML Docker images. So as well as that, we’ll look at some ColdFusion dev ups tips. Why is he thinks Servulous is so cool these days, and some of the neat apps he’s building with Lucee CFML with his team there down in Australia. And also look at tricks they use on migrating legacy Adobe ColdFusion to Lucee. And we’ll also do a little bit of chat about web [inaudible] [00:40], and a few other interesting things. So welcome Geoff.
Geoff: hi there
Michael: And just in case you don’t know, he’s C.E.O. of Demon, has been around for like 22 years, been doing ColdFusion forever, or at least since version one.
Geoff: Seems like forever. Now probably since version… I think might be version was is three and a half I can’t remember.
Michael: In 97, was three and a half?
Geoff: Nearly three and a half. 97 is sort of the time frame.
Michael: Yeah, and he’s also president of LAS; the Lucy Association Switzerland. So he’s the …that’s where the buck stops as they say in America.
Geoff: It’s where the buck stops, yeah.
Michael: Yeah, so you guys there make all the official Lucee Docker images. Tell us about that, and why that matters to people listening.
Geoff: Well, I think the first thing to say is in ter
Geoff Bowers is a CEO of Daemon in Sydney Australia for 22 years so far and a President of Lucee Association (LAS). He has ran WebDU conference for 10 years.