Do your senior developers have what it really takes to be a team leader?
The skills required for each are very different. So! What would be the best thing to do in case you want to promote your star coder to show your appreciation?
Here are some tips from an article on Forbes.com.
Allow them to have options
- ask your CFML developer if she is prepared for management and if it’s the path she is willing to undertake
- if not then reward them with a pay increase, extra time off or flex time
Find the mentor in them
- being a great coder, there is a chance that they can help other web developers develop the same skills
- see if they are open to mentoring other coders
- bonus: this can help you find and attract the best ColdFusion developers for your company
Open communication between tech and the sales team
- there is growth when sales people can openly address customer issues to the tech team
- have developers easily access feedback and customer support questions
- only hire web developers who fit into your company culture
- make sure all team members share the same values at work
Scaling tech teams is very different from promoting people on other departments. It takes having the right person in the right position, knowing what they are comfortable and are willing to do, and having clear communication within the organization.
Let me know your thoughts on promoting senior developers?