Jorge Reyes talks about “CF Suicide, Depression, and Recovery”, in this episode of ColdFusion Alive Podcast, with host Michael Smith.
- Suicide T or F quiz
- The person with suicidal thoughts will have those thoughts all of his/her life
- Suicidal Thoughts shouldn’t be talked directly. You will make the person kill him/herself faster
- If a person already tried to kill him/herself. A new attempt is less likely.
- Suicide happens without warning
- Someone bragging about killing him/herself just wants to draw attention to themselves.
- People with suicidal thoughts – they absolutely want to die.
- Developer thinking about suicide
- Disclaimer: we are not doctors and don’t play one on TV either
- How a developer he had trained then a month later he killed himself
- But he seemed engaged and happy
- The tip of the iceberg – small talk and big talk
- How he helped a developer friend who wanted to kill himself
- Developer depression
- Not talking about this
- The history of depression and mental illness – fear of talking about it
- Rather die than talk about it
- Fear of being judged
- Stress and anxiety
- Tools for releasing anxiety and depression
- Time in nature
- Digital detox day
- Friend time
- Understanding and listening
- Human touch
- Laughter – silly movie or laughter yoga
- Shame = not deserve to exist
- “Coward”, “easy way out”
- Friends of those who are suicide
- Be aware of other people
- Take some action
- Call Suicide prevention lifeline
- its free
- And available 24/7
- 1800 273 8255
- Addictions don’t help, they cover up
- TV and media
- What are you looking forward to at CF Summit?
- Moving out of CF legacy hell
Mentioned in this episode
- Dissociative moment
- PTSD and TRE
- Pigs in the Parlor: A handbook for deliverance from demons and spiritual oppression. by Frank Hammond
- I Jumped Off The Golden Gate Bridge and Survived
Jorge is a passionate Industrial Engineer born in El Salvador with 7 years of experience managing projects. Business manager at Ortus Solutions, Corp.
Michael: Welcome back to the show. I’m here with Jorge Reyes, and we’re talking about a very interesting subject. And it’s very serious for some developers out there in ColdFusion which is ColdFusion suicide, depression, and recovery. And Jorge here has a very interesting story to tell of a couple of experiences he’s had with this. But we’re gonna start off the show with a quick true or false quiz for everyone listening. And we’re also gonna look at if you have any friends who’ve either thought about suicide, or committed suicide, how you can deal with that. And we’ll have some resources in case anyone’s feeling suicidal, or knows someone who is. So, very important topic. Welcome Jorge.
Jorge: Thank you Michael.
Michael: So, you mentioned you put together a little quiz for me and the listeners; true or false.
Jorge: true or false
Michael: What are those questions?
Jorge: Yeah, because it is important that we kind of set in check some of the assumptions that people have about suicide, or people considering to commit suicide. So, I wanted to kind of access you and the audience with those.
Michael: I’m ready.
Michael: I hope everyone listening has sharpened their pencils, or their fingertips on their keyboard.
Jorge: So the first one…
Michael: We’ll put it on the show notes too.
Jorge: Cool! The person with suicidal thoughts will have those thoughts all of his or her life. True or false, Michael.