Welcome to the fourth ColdFusion Containers Roadshow Webinar by OrtusSolutions. This Friday, Jon Clausen gave a presentation on the topic of “Box Microservices”.
These series are being held throughout the September, every Friday at 11 AM CST. Topics are covering anything you would need to build sustainable containerized ColdFusion applications using CommandBox, ColdBox, and ContentBox CMS technologies.
- Object-oriented code
- Model view controller (MVC)
- If it doesn't perform
- …bigger hardware!
- Monolith vs. Microservices
- The new paradigm is ORCHESTRATION
- What does MICROSERVICES do?
- The road from legacy CFML apps to Microservices architecture
- Isolate- instead of having one thing doing many things
- Starting in Docker
- Sign up for the webinar
Remember that all webinars are FREE but with limited seats, so hurry up and sign up!
- Budgets, options, and other problems
- How you can overcome these problems and evolve?
- Use existing legacy microservices
- Spaghetti mode start in the 90's
- Quick and dirty
- Monolithic app design
- Noooo separation
- Lots of other difficulties
- Logic organized better
- Some separation
- Still difficult
Model view controller (MVC)
- Helps enforce OO
- Separates layers of concerns
- Layers still tightly coupled
If it doesn't perform
- Big server = Big database
Monolith vs. Microservices
- Transit from big hardware to…
- Platforms as Services (PAAS)
The new paradigm is ORCHESTRATION
- Less is more
- Apps are collections of independent parts
- Start thinking about not having massive releasing cycles/ decoupling the code
- Hardware independence
- Platform independence
- Disposable instances
- Scale on-demand
- Teardown when demand decreases
- Martin Fowler
What does MICROSERVICES do?
- Make legacy code less intimidating
- Fewer resources required to maintain full tolerance
- Versionable and maintainable
- Short release cycles
- Monolithic apps can be evolved piece by piece
The road from legacy CFML apps to Microservices architecture
- The steps
- Identify performance bottlenecks and pain points in your application
- Build, test and deploy new microservices to address and deliver the functionality of your pain points
- Update the endpoints monolithic app to use new microservice endpoints
- Rinse and repeat, with additional bottlenecks and pain points
Isolate- instead of having one thing doing many things
… we develop many things, each one doing one thing, very well.
Starting in Docker
- Are you a robot?
- Test out the environment
- Docker Swarm
- Google app engine
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Ortus Solutions
- Jon Clausen
- OrtusSolutions Docker ColdFusion Roadshow 2017
- Ortus books
The whole month of great stuff coming up. Once again, big ups to the guys from OrtusSolutions for putting together this Roadshow.
The next Docker Roadshow is on Sep 29, 2017, 11:00 AM. Gavin Pickin will be talking about “Start playing with Docker”.
Sign up for the webinar
I must say that Ortus always has a very good overview of what’s going on. Very simple, clean, neat Sign up page will welcome you and give you the basic info.
You can choose to attend one or more of the following sessions.
Here is the last date!
Time shows in Central Standard Time (US and Canada)
See you there folks!