Last Friday was very interesting for CFers. The first ColdFusion Containers Roadshow Webinar by Ortus was held and the speaker was Mark Drew. This series will be held throughout the September, every Friday at 11 AM CST. Topics will cover anything you would need to build sustainable containerized ColdFusion applications using CommandBox, ColdBox, and ContentBox CMS technologies.
The guys (Ortus) have pretty interesting topics to discuss. Here’s what Brad Wood said:
Docker has been the “next big thing” for a few years now and this has led to a lot of questions from ColdFusion developers and sys admins.
- What the heck is Docker?
- How is it different from just running VMs?
- How do I deploy it?
- Is it secure?
- What are the tradeoffs?
Very good thing is that you will also have access to recordings of each webinar, in case you missed it and/or want to watch it more than once. I know I did see it twice already!
And remember that all webinars are FREE but with limited seats, so hurry up and
Intro to Containers
Mark Drew has been programming CFML since 1996, and even though he has had forays into Perl, ASP and PHP he is still loving every line of code he has crafted with CFML.
Mark has a very nice of explaining things:
What is Docker container?
The webinar highlights:
- Servers are like Monoliths
- What happens when they start spreading?
- We have more servers than we know what to do with!
- The Matrix From Hell
- The analogy to the Cargo Sector pre- 1960
- Piano that smells like coffee and bananas
- How do you store different goods/things and transport them without having this kind of a problem?
- Solution: Intermodal Shipping Container
- Always follows a STANDARD
- How does this help us?
- We as codders are responsible for the content of each container
- Why developers care?
- Once you have your system, you don’t care how your system gets deployed
- Clean safe way of running your environment
- No worrying about missing dependencies
- Why do admins care?
- you don’t have to give them checklists (of how to deploy one of the SSL keys here and there etc.)
- Why it works?
- Separation of concerns
- VMS vs. Containers
- Why are Docker containers lightweight?
The basics of a Docker System
- Versioned applications
- Docker engine
- Build your own application and image examples
- Docker Hub
- A cloud based registry which allows you to link to code repositories
- Build your images
- Run them
- What is Kitematic?
- Docker Compose
- a tool for defining and running multi-container Docker applications
- What if you want a database and Mongo DB?
- Docker Swarm
- Manage your clusters
- Docker Cloud
Remember to stay online after the webinar has finished, because the speakers also do, for some Q & A. This time, Mark gave some great ideas from an another perspective which is great to try out.
The whole month of great stuff coming up. Once again, big ups to the guys from OrtusSolutions for putting together this Roadshow.
The next Docker Roadshow is on Sep 08, 2017 11:00 AM. Luis Majano will be talking about “Containerizing ContentBox CMS”.
Sign up for the webinar
I must say that Ortus always has a very good overview of what’s going on. Very simple, clean, neat Sign up page will welcome you and give you the basic info.
You can choose to attend one or more of the following sessions.
Here are the dates:
Time shows in Central Standard Time (US and Canada)
See you there folks!